Sunday 27 September 2015

How to Dip Dye your Macrame and Tassels, sucessfully!



 Hello!

I know its been ages!

I've been busy working on my new collection.......which is coming along really well and I'm really excited to be working on my shop opening!


.....But I had a query about how I use to dye my tassel and macrame works from a few interested folk and I thought HEY?
I'll share some tips?
Dip dyeing your tassels and twine is still hugely popular now....but I created these works ages ago!

1.
Firstly buy good quality cotton rope?
Avoid hardware and craft shops!  TOO expensive!
Goggle search cotton twine, or cotton sash cord and you come up with online shops in Australia, who sell rope!
Try www.allropes.com.au

2.
Cut up the required amount of twine you need for your project them add some more, better to have too much then not enough!

3.
BIG TIP here!
Soak your twine in water!

4.
Then dip your twine into your dye pot you have prepared.
If you use commerical dyes, dont use the whole dye packet. Just use 5-10 grams. 
Save some cash and not waste your dye powder.
If your twine is not the desired colour then add in 5 gram lots, till it is.

 5.
Hang your twine up to dry.

Now create your piece.
Using pre-dyed twine in your macrame work will result in a cleaner more refined look...anything else will look like an amateur. 
The colour will be consistent and the process of macrame knotting will integrate the colour in a subtle way rather than have an uneven dye line, detracting from your knot work.

I hope this helps your next dip dye project!



Tag me on instagram if these tips resulted in some improved dip dyeing results!!

Pippa 

@ouchflower

#knotsista










12 comments:

  1. Well hello! This is a nice surprise - even though I won't be dying any tassels in the near (or distant!) future ;)
    Looking forward to checking out your new collection x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pippa. Love your work. Thanks for the tips on dying the rope. I am going to attempt a nacrame wallhanging for our hall way. I just can't work out how long to cut the rope. Is there a general guide? I am hoping to make something 1m wide by 2m long. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the intricacy of your knot work, dictates yardage but I usually triple the size I need so for a 2m hanging, use 6-7 m lengths of rope.
      Hope this helps 😊

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much Pippa. I appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. حتى تتمكن من اصلاح اعطال و صيانة الكتروستار على يد مهندسين متخصصين ذوي خبرة ، قم بالتواصل مع الشركة العالمية لصيانة الاجهزة الكهربائية المتنوعة في مصر

    ReplyDelete
  5. يمكنك الآن اصلاح جميع اعطال اجهزة توكيل ال جي الكهربائية الموجودة في منزلك عن طريق التواصل مع رقم صيانة ال جي المعتمدة للحصول على خدمات صيانة ال جي على اعلى مستوى من التميز

    ReplyDelete
  6. اطلب الآن جميع خدمات صيانة ايس ميكر و اي معدات اخرى في مطعمك عن طريق التواصل مع كبرى شركات صيانة معدات مطاعم الموجودة في مصر و التي تقدمها لكم شركة دليل التجهيزات

    ReplyDelete
  7. قم بالتواصل مع افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات في مصر حتى تتمكن من ابادة النمل و اي حشرات اخرى مثل مكافحة البق الذي يسبب الكثير من الاضرار ، و ذلك بجانب خدمات مكافحة الصراصير التي تتم بإستخدام افضل المبيدات الحشرية

    ReplyDelete
  8. احصل على ارقى تصميمات قرميد في المملكة العربية السعودية مثل قرميد اسباني ، و ذلك من شركة البدر التي تستخدم اجود الخامات في تصنيع القرميد

    ReplyDelete
  9. الان تعرف علي عروض وخدمات شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر التي يمكنك التواصل معهم في اي وقت يوميا والتعرف علي اهم خدماتها للعملاء في اي وقت وباقل الاسعار .

    ReplyDelete
  10. اقل الاسعارمع توكيل صيانة سامسونج علي جميع قطع الغيار الاصلية في مصر استمتع مع صيانة سامسونج علي مستوي عالي من الجودة سوف تجد الكثير من الاعمال المتميزه والمتقدمة في العمل الان سوف تستمتع بالكفاءه العالية والمتطورة في العمل

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.